|= D & J Construction =
Kitchen, and Decks, and Patios....Oh My
|It's late winter of 2006. We are in Little Falls, NJ. Hired by Mr. & Mrs. Reyes to gut their outdated kitchen, and rebuild it with all new cabinets and appliances. We are also putting two decks in the back yard, one is a grade level deck and the other is a raised deck. We are also taking out an old concrete patio and sidewalk, and installing a drain from the back yard to the street, then we are pouring a new patio and larger sidewalk. We are also going to replace the blacktop driveway.|
Free counters provided by Andale.
|The kitchen above is what we started with. After removing all of the appliances, and water lines, and gas, we started to take down these cabinets. The cultured brick did get a bit messy though. After we got started, or first "Oh No" appeared behind the soffit. It was plumbing for the bathroom upstairs, (and a live wire, left uncapped just sitting on the pipes. I of course thought it couldn't be live, so I grabbed it to pull out and ZAP it shorted out on the copper pipe.) which had to be moved because the new cabinets go to the ceiling. Once the sheetrock was down, we needed to insulate the exterior walls, as the old insulation was in pretty bad shape. Our rough electric went in for all the new lights, and many outlets around the counter. Did I mention we also upgraded the electric to 200 Amps to accomodate all this new stuff. The floor was vinyl, but under it was a fiberboard which had to be removed....that was fun. We installed a cement backerboard for the new tile floor which the Owner wanted to do. I thought I got pictures of the finished sheetrock, but who hasn't seen finished sheetrock?|
|The upper and lower cabinets are now in. The Owner, Yvette Reyes, purchased a "Viking" industrial stove and hood. Now I've had fun before, but this hood was about all the fun I could handle. Due to the height restrictions, I had to custom make an exhaust vent because the one that came with it would have vented out in the bedroom above. But after many cuts from the sheet of duct material, I finally got the vent to vent properly to the outside world. The dishwasher, a "Bosch", was also tons of fun.|
|The kitchen is now completely finished. The Reyes's couldn't wait to get back into their new kitchen, as witnessed from the pictures below. The granite counter top went in without a hitch, the sink is now in and faucet hooked up, and the dishwasher is connected and set in place.|
|We now go on to the two decks we built. We built one deck at ground level and the other deck seven feet higher. I designed them so when you exit from the stairs on the upper deck you can walk right onto the lower deck. These decks were built with a composite board and railing system. The "Timbertech" decking is really nice to work with, and is completely maintenence free. Before we built these decks, we jackhammered out the old concrete patio, which pitched toward the house causing rain water to sit against the house. We also took out an old sidewalk to the shed in the back yard.|
|Now, keep in mind we didn't do these jobs in order. We started outside then went inside, then went outside again, and so on. All this work took us five weeks to finish up. Now with that being said.
We installed a drain system from the back yard, along the side, (tying the downspouts from the gutters in) through the driveway and into the street. We also installed a retaining wall along the back yard, and poured a concrete patio and sidewalk.
|Now to finish up this job, we have takin out the old blacktop driveway and are installing a new one. We had to keep in mind that the heights have been changed and we wanted to maintain the pitch to keep the water away from the house.
Now, I don't think I forgot anything....well I did, like the new outlets and lights outside, and we moved the post for the gate in the rear....Yeah that's it. See you in Lambertville NJ.